Cover letter examples by industry
A good cover letter highlights the specific skills employers are looking for. Check out these cover letter examples for a variety of industries.
A great cover letter will show that you're the right candidate.
If you're wondering how to write a cover letter, you're in the right place! It doesn't matter what level you're at in your career—to get noticed by potential employers, your professional cover letter needs to knock their socks off. Your cover letter is much more than friendly greeting; it's a tool that lets hiring managers know that you're the candidate they've been hoping for.
Recruiters and hiring managers have seen every type of cover letter format imaginable. For maximum wow-factor, you must build a cover letter that highlights your industry-specific experience, accomplishments, and credentials.
Steps to write a cover letter
- Start with the proper greeting: Address your cover letter to the person who will be reading it.
- Introduce yourself with an opening: Write a personable, inviting opening paragraph that highlights how your skills are a perfect fit to the company and position.
- Get them interested with a compelling hook: Highlight your past achievements as they relate to the job you're applying for.
- Promote your skills: Highlight your additional relevant skills, such as computer languages or certifications.
- Thank them in the close: Briefly recap your strengths as a candidate, thank the reader for their time, and include your contact information.
If you need cover letter help, check out these cover letter templates for various careers and career levels in the following industries:
Administrative/Support Cover Letter Examples
Art/Design/Media Cover Letter Examples
Business Cover Letter Examples
Education Cover Letter Examples
Engineering Cover Letter Examples
Finance/Accounting Cover Letter Examples
Health Care Cover Letter Examples
Human Resources Cover Letter Examples
Job Search Cover Letter Examples
Law Enforcement and Legal Cover Letter Examples
Marketing and PR Cover Letter Examples
Military Cover Letter Examples
Nurse Cover Letter Examples
Restaurant and Hospitality Cover Letter Examples
Retail Cover Letter Examples
Sales Cover Letter Examples
Science Cover Letter Examples
Student Cover Letter Examples
Technology Cover Letter Examples
Trades Cover Letter Examples
Transportation and Warehousing Cover Letter Examples
Help hiring managers find your cover letter
When your cover letter is in good shape, don't let it just sit on your computer. You need to get it out there! Could you use a little help getting your cover letter in front of hiring managers? Join Monster today. As a member, you can upload up to five versions of your resume and cover letter—each customized to the kinds of jobs you're interested in. Recruiters search Monster every day looking to fill top jobs with qualified candidates, just like you. Make it easier for them to find you, and for you to find a job.
Military cover letter sample
View this sample cover letter for a military professional, or download the military cover letter template in Word.
As a military professional, you have the training and traits employers are seeking—make sure you stand out from the crowd. Your cover letter should demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your work. To be considered for top military jobs, it helps to have a well-crafted cover letter. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for a military professional, or download the military cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about military careers and search for military jobs on Monster.
Military to civilian cover letter template
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
CCNP and CCNA Data Center
CompTIA Network+ and A+
Sometown, MS 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
July 27, 2017
Ms. Gloria Smith
15 Elm Street
Sometown, MS 55555
Dear Ms. Smith:
If the ideal candidate for the network administrator position advertised on Monster (Ref #11111) should have cross-platform expertise (Unix, Linux, Windows and macOS), knowledge of Cisco networking hardware and experience managing large global data centers, my credentials will be of interest.
Having progressed through promotions since joining the U.S. Marine Corps in 2007, I currently serve as an advanced network administrator. I maintain and optimize secure network communications of both tactical and commercial networks supporting key military operations.
As ABC Corporation seeks to optimize and secure all computer and network components including servers, equipment, wireless access points, cabling, printers and workstations, I can help. Not only do I offer hands-on experience performing high-level administration of network environments, but I also offer a track record of accomplishments that include:
- Awarded recognition for serving on team that reconfigured the USMC’s Global Broadcast Service (GBS), providing USMC with an enhanced surveillance tool.
- Project management of large-scale initiatives¾accomplished on time and with minimal interruptions to daily operations. Recently, my team and I oversaw performance-tuning and rollout of a new SYSLOG server that strengthened authentication, authorization and accountability (AAA).
- Experience delivering rapid, quality solutions that have automated network processes, enhanced security and achieved productivity, efficiency and performance gains.
My USMC tour of duty ends in December, and I am motivated to secure a network administrator position in the private sector. You can reach me at (555) 555-5555 or email@example.com to set up a meeting. Thank you for your time.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.